Sambals are fiery sauces or dips used as condiments popular in Indonesia, Philippines and Sri Lanka. It is usually chilli based dip, Sambal tomat is a spicy and tangy tomato based sauce. This recipe has a perfect balance of hot, sour and sweet. If you like your Sambal spicy you can increase the amount of chilly.
- 5 medium sized Ripe Red Tomatoes
- 2 medium sized Onions
- 8 cloves of Garlic
- 2 sprigs of Curry leaves
- 3 inch Cinnamon Stick
- 2tsp red Chilly powder
- 3tsp Sugar
- 2tbsp Oil
- 2tbsp Lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves for garnish
[box_light]1. Slice ripe tomatoes, layer them in a plate and sprinkle them with salt and red chilly powder. The salt will get all the juices out and the tomatoes will cook faster.
2. Peel and thinly slice the onions. Peel and chop half of the garlic cloves.
3. Heat the oil in a deep pan on medium high, add the unpeeled garlic and fry till dark brown. Add in curry leaves and cinnamon sticks. Saute till they sizzle and turn aromatic.
5. Add in the onions and saute till golden brown.
6. Add the tomatoes and flaked garlic, stir well and cook till they start to soften. Lower the heat and cook till the dish appears like a pulpy sauce and the tomatoes are completely soft.
7. Stir in the sugar and lemon juice. Adjust the seasoning. Remove the cinnamon stick and unpeeled garlic before serving.
Serve as a dip for breadsticks or chips or even like a side dish for rice or roti.
For step by step pictures of the recipe check out Flavours!